Monday, November 8, 2010

Bread Making Fun

I love good bread.  Something with flavor, something with a great crust.  I would kill for the seedy baguettes at the metropol bakery in Eugene.  But alas, I'm no where near Oregon.  So I've been trying to make my own baguettes and other things.  I'll tell you about the baguettes some other time, but lately I've been working on chibatta and other "rustic" types that makes good sandwich bread for lunch.

I've been working with Peter Reinhart's book, the Bread Baker's Apprentice.  Here is a link to his blog.  For the most part I have it say it has solved some of my problems and issues I've had trying to use recipes off the internet.  Most of his instructions are good, but some of the shaping issues are a bit hard to follow from his pictures.  But everything else has been great.  His bagel recipe is great!
So I've been trying out his ideas for Chibatta.  You start with a potash, or basically an overnight starter.  Just a pinch of yeast, about 2 cups of flower, 1/2 cup of whole wheat and about 1 1/2 cups of water.  I like to use King Arthur flour, works the best for me.  But try out different ones and see what gives you the flavor and gluten you are looking for.  Mix well and let it develop overnight.  You can throw it in the fridge but I like to catch it in the morning and start working with it instead of holding it.  Usually I'll leave it in my mixing bowl, covered with plastic wrap and just start working with it the next day.



Once I get may act together more, I'll take some pictures of going through the steps, and explain what I'm trying but for this time, just take a look at what I ended up with.


Two lovely loaves that I was just dying to cut into and throw some good olive oil on.  Which I did after cooling.  The bread keeps much better when I include that 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour.  Also, if you are trying to make your own bread, don't be afraid of wet dough.  Controlling the moisture and the steam while baking seems to be important issues that aren't all ways stressed in recipes.  I think it must be a trade secret of bakers and you have to join their club and know the secret hand shake before they let you in on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment