Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Steak Ssam

No that isn't a typo, it is supposed to be "ssam" but even more so there are supposed to be two dots above the "a".  I just don't know how to put the umlat (or what ever the Korean version is!) over the a.  What ever you call it, this meal was so simple and so good.  It has a number of components but none of them are hard to make and it all comes together some beautifully.  This is the first thing I've tired to make out of David Chang's Momofuku cook book.  I'm pretty damn happy with the results.

Read on what I did.

As put out in the cook book, this is supposed to be marinated hanger steak ssam with red kimchi puree and ginger scallion sauce.  I used a flat iron steak which I believe is the same thing, just called different things in different areas.  Since this has a number of parts I'll break it up in sections

The kimchi puree
I have not advanced far enough yet to make my own kimchi, so I just got a jar of store bought at my local asian market.  I like it anyways!  All you do to make this sauce is throw it in the blender and grind away.  You want kind of a chunky puree.  Think of it as kimchi salsa and you'll be it right.  Throw it in a dish.  You are done with that part.


The Ginger scallion sauce
I scaled this down a bit, but I wish I hadn't this was one of the best parts.  I've made things similar to this in the past but I think the vinegar really makes it.  Combine 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions (including the white part) with 1 1/4 table spoon canolla or grapeseed oil, 1/3 teaspoon light soy, 1/8 teaspoon of sherry vinegar, and 2 table spoons (give or take) of finely minced and pealed ginger.  Some kosher salt to taste and let sit about 20 minutes before using.  Should store for a day or so covered in the fridge.


Bibb (boston) lettuce,
Wash, dry and separate the leaves.  Try to leave intact.  That is about it.  Oh, put on a nice plate!


The steak
Again I scaled the marinade.  It is so simple, 1 cup of apple juice (juice NOT cider), 1/4 cup light soy, 3-4 thinly sliced cloves of garlic, 1/2 a thinly sliced yellow onion.  About a teaspoon of black peeper.  Throw this all in a bag with the steak and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  When you are ready to cook, get a hot fire going in your grill.  Char/sear it on both sides.  Then reduce the heat or move to a cooler part of the grill and finish to medium rare or rare.  Do NOT over cook it.  Do not make it well done, do not ruin it!  Let it rest properly for 5-10 minutes depending on how thick it is and then slice with a 30 degree bias.  Serve with the accompaniments and some rice or noodles.  I made some noodles this first time out and that would be my recommendation.  I also put out some kimchi as well, but the puree was so yummy I almost forgot to eat it.

Now when you are ready to eat, just mix and match the accompaniments to your taste.  I let the juices run down into my noodles and put more of the ginger scallion sauce on them and they were so yummy I'm going to make that for dinner all by itself some time.  If the rest of momofuku is this good, I know why people are going crazy for his restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment