Monday, December 27, 2010

Gringo Chicken Tacos

I turned this frozen hunk of chicken and a few other ingredients into what I call Gringo Tacos.
Frozen chicken in the bag.  Something you used to find at only the big box stores but now many others carry them now.  I hate to admit it but I usually keep a bag of these in the freezer just in case.



Yesterday was a just in case day.  I came up with something that was supper yummy and figured I better put it up here before I forget how I did it.  Plus, it isn't Asian!  

Gringo because I fried the tortillas a little bit.  Instead of the traditional street style of warmed fresh tortillas or grilled flour ones I ran these through some oil just like a Gringo.


Keep reading for how I put this together.

Some other time I'll show you more traditional street tacos.



What you'll need:  1 thawed chicken breast
2 chipotle pepers, shallot, clove of garlic, small yellow onion, cilantro, lime, and two roma tomatoes.
Also, on the spice side you will need some good chili powder and cumin.  Do yourself a favor and try it from Penzeys.

This also works with left over chicken, but if you are starting off with the thawed frozen beast, start some water in a small pan to boil.  Put one of the chipotle peppers into the boiling water and the chicken.  Let it come back to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes.  Allow the chicken to cool a bit and then shred.

Dice the shallot and garlic.  Cut about half of the onion into halved rings that are about 1/8" thick.  Heat some olive oil and put the shallot, garlic, and onion in to sweat a bit.  Add the other chipotle pepper and add about 1/4 to 1/2 tps chili powder depending on your taste and the quality of the pepper.  About the same amount of cumin as well.  Let that develop and cook just a bit.

Dice the tomatoes and them and about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water or chicken stock.  Season to taste and add a bit more cumin or chili if you think it needs it or if you are not smelling those spices.  Squeeze in the juice from half of a lime.  While that is coming up to a bit of a boil, sprinkle some chili powder, cumin and just a little salt on the shredded chicken and then add to the pan.  Cover and bring down to a simmer.  Let that cook for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes have reduced down and you are getting more of a sauce.

While that is cooking heat some oil and run the tortillas through it.  I didn't go for crunchy nacho chip, I went for just barely having a texture on them so they still fold.  Plus it cooks the corn just a enough and awakens that flavor a bit.

Finish the tacos with chopped onion and cilantro.  From that one frozen chicken breast I got about 8 tacos, more than enough for dinner for 2 or 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment